Treat yourself to a yummy breakfast with plenty of dietary fibre in the form of oats, wholemeal flour and fruit to support good cholesterol levels and heart health.
- 150g fresh ricotta
- 1 egg, separated
- ½ tbsp golden syrup
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp coconut essence
- 1/3 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp quick oats
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Chopped stone fruit, berries
- Golden syrup or honey
- Crumbed walnuts or shaved coconut
- Mix your fruit and golden syrup together and set aside to allow juices to release from the fruit.
- Place half the ricotta (75g) in a medium bowl with the egg yolk & golden syrup. Whisk to combine, then whisk in buttermilk and essence.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl and add oats. Make well in centre. Add ricotta mixture. Whisk to form a smooth, thick batter.
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat egg white in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Lightly grease with cooking oil. Spoon 2 heaped tablespoons of batter into pan for each pancake. Cook each pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned.
- Top with reserved ricotta, fruit topping and walnuts or coconut to serve.
Source: The Heart Foundation