Lentils are rich in iron and folate and are an excellent source of protein. They also make a great substitute for beef mince, as they are more nutrient dense and contain less fat.
Servings: 4 (a great meal to freeze for later!)
10g dried Porcini mushrooms
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp chopped oregano leaves
400g can brown lentils, drained & rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g cooked pasta
Parmesan & herbs to serve
- Soak the Porcini mushrooms in a heatproof bowl with 1/2 cup boiling water for 10 mins. Drain, reserve soaking liquid and finely chop.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and sauté onion, celery and carrot until softened (5-10min).
- Add garlic, chilli, oregano and chopped Porcini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 mins.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, Porcini liquid and bring to boil. Simmer 15-20 mins until thick.
- Season sauce and serve with your favourite cooked pasta, Parmesan and parsley or basil.