You may have hundreds of precious memories on your phone, or you have put a lot of work into creating your computer files; damage or loss of these files and photos could be devastating. But if you have a backup of digital files, you’ll have a copy safely stored away; and you don’t have to be a computer whizz to keep your files safe!
What is backup?
A backup is a secondary copy of all of your important files.
But why should I backup?
Have you ever lost your phone? Has your computer ever crashed? One small accident could mean you lose all of your files.
So, how do I backup?
Two easy options!
- Make secondary copies on an external hard drive or USB stick
- Use online storage, such as Dropbox or iCloud on your Apple device
Here are a few tips:
- Backups are about multiple copies, not about a single copy on a USB stick. You need to have one copy on a USB stick, and one copy on your computer as well.
- You only need to backup what you care about losing.
- Cloud storage is a great and convenient way to backup your computer. If you’re happy to pay per month, Microsoft OneDrive will automatically backup your Desktop, Pictures, and Documents.
- Paying Apple less than a coffee per month, allows you to completely backup your iPhone automatically via iCloud. It’s a worry-free solution to protect your phone.
- If your data becomes corrupt and it’s not backed up, don’t worry! Most of the time, it can be recovered and repaired by data recovery experts for a fee.