If you haven’t tried Broccoli Cheddar soup before, you don’t know what you’ve been missing! This simple and quick dish is warming, packed with flavour and a wonderful source of fibre, protein and iron. Peas and cauliflower also make great additions!
Serves 5 (excellent for freezing)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large head of broccoli, florets & stem cut up
- 1 potato, peeled & diced
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Light cream or sour cream to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden (5-10 minutes).
- Add the broccoli, potato, salt, pepper and chicken stock (add additional water if needed to just cover the vegetables).
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until vegetables are just tender (around 15 minutes).
- With a hand mixer or blender, puree until smooth.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and more salt and pepper if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with some cream and extra cheese.