What’s all the fuss about?
The statistics speak for themselves
Each hour 4 men in Australia die from potentially preventable health conditions.
What’s the reason?
While biological factors have some impact, the threats to men’s health are illnesses linked to lifestyle choices and behaviour.
Every year, too many men die prematurely from heart disease, cancer, accidents, suicide and illness caused by obesity and smoking.
Men who eat nutritious food, exercise, undertake regular activity, keep track of their health and get prompt treatment for health problems have a better chance of a healthy and long life.
Why gamble with your life?
Give yourself the best chance by investing in your health – it’s your most important asset.
- Men live on average 4 years less than women.
- Each hour 4 men die from potentially preventable conditions.
- Men are twice as likely to get skin cancer and 3 times more likely to die from melanoma.
- The suicide rate is 3 times higher for men.
- Diabetes affects 1 in 20 Australian men.
- For men, the proportions of overweight or obesity are similar in each socioeconomic group, ranging from 68% to 71%.
- On average, 1 in 8 men will have depression and 1 in 5 men will experience anxiety at some stage of their lives.
- More than 1 in 3 men 60 years and older will fracture a bone due to osteoporosis.
- A man dies of a heart attack every 2 hours.
Lifestyle Wellness is hosting Men’s Health Expos across all of our communities in the coming months. If you’re a homeowner, make sure you look up the date for your Health Expo (your community manager will know) and attend to find out more and get your hands on a free goodie bag!